Truths about Same-Day Restorations
What is Same-day Restoration?
Dentistry is diverse, given the different needs that patients have regarding the health of their mouths. Some people have functional teeth problems, while others are solely focused on their cosmetic appeals. Either way, dentistry focuses on restoring the state of teeth and improving the quality of life for patients.
Same-day restorations involve the use of different dental appliances to restore the state of teeth in one dental sitting. Ideally, once you visit a dental facility, an Encinitas dentist will examine your teeth and offer you the necessary treatment in that same day.
The restoration procedures cannot be performed by any random dentist. You need to be intentional about consulting a same-day restoration dentist in Encinitas for such services. Besides that, you need to be in a dental facility that offers that kind of dental service, based on the technology they have.
What Entails Same-day Teeth Restoration?
When you visit a dentist in 92024, you will learn that same-day teeth restorations are powered by technology. The technology uses ceramic products to restore the state of teeth. It is, therefore, also known as ceramic reconstruction or Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics (CEREC). All that is needed is the use of a digital camera or scanner, a computer, and a milling instrument. It is a rather modern way of treating teeth. Compared to traditional methods, a dentist near you will encourage these restorations.
The Process of CEREC involves the following steps:
- Imaging for dental impressions
- Digital photos and scans of teeth and bone structures
- 3D imaging – the photos that your dentist takes will be converted into 3D models or images.
- Generation of the tooth – the 3D models can be translated into teeth. This process happens between a computer and a porcelain-carving tool. However, this will require the directives of the dentist to create a perfect final product.
- Bonding process – the appliance or tooth generated will then be bonded permanently to your teeth with special cement an ultraviolet light or lasers.
Treatments Common in CEREC Same-Day Restorations
The treatments offered for same-day tooth restorations are those whose dental appliances can digitally be generated. For example, generating teeth aligners in one sitting is not as practical as is generating dental crowns. That said, some of the appliances used in same-day restoration treatments include the following:
- Dental crowns – are the most commonly used dental appliances. They are used to fix dental problems like tooth decay, breakages, covering root canal treatments, dental implants, among others. The crowns can be generated in one dental sitting, for the specific tooth that needs treatment.
- Dental veneers – they are cosmetic alternatives to many dental procedures. They feature a non-invasive dental procedure that allows patients to have better smiles without going through the intense processes of dental works. Veneers can be partial or complete and are easy to generate technologically.
- Onlays – in place of dental fillings, sometimes a dentist will recommend onlays to cover the part of your tooth that is deeply decayed or badly broken.
Benefits of CEREC Same-Day Restorations
- Time-saving – you can get your teeth treated on the same day you visit a dentist. It saves you the time of moving up and down every couple of weeks for follow-up treatment. It also eliminates the need for scheduling several appointments and making long queues at the dental clinic awaiting your turn.
- Cosmetic appeal – same-day restorations are sensitive to the cosmetic appearances of patients. The ceramic used alleviates the appearance of teeth in color, shape, and size.
- No temporaries – traditional dental restorations have you wearing temporary dental appliances as you wait for the permanent ones to be created. This need is taken away in same-day restoration where the set of appliances you get are the only ones you need.
- Perfect fit – CEREC technology allows for the creation of customized dental appliances for a perfect fit. The best part is that in one sitting, you can cater to all your adjustment needs, enjoying a perfect fit.
- Digital records – the upside of technology is that it never forgets. Once your dentist has used a digital gadget to collect information about your teeth, bone structure and more, that information can be saved for later use. This makes it easier for your dentist to conduct future dental works, following the information recorded digitally.